Sunday 3 August 2014

Finding true friends.



Is there any worse feeling then being surrounded by a group of people and feeling lonely? Or chatting with people and getting that gradual sinking feeling that they don't care what you are talking about?

True friends are diamonds, so rare a precious and can take a long time to find. But how do we negotiate through the rubble until we find these diamonds? Friends are such a vital part of your life but being around friends who are negative and put you down is worse then no friends at all.

I started university this year and I've noticed that when I hang out with some of my friends from high school, I don't feel positive, happy or completely myself. I have plenty of friends who don't make me feel this way, but never the less, people who I used to consider my 'best friends' don't make me feel that way. I used to blame myself and constantly say, "you need to be more confident" or "get over it" but now I realise that maybe it isn't my fault. Maybe it's just the way it is. People change and you change which is normal and expected. But when people change and veer into different directions, then it is time to move on.

If you are feeling this way too then you are not alone. If your friends don't make you feel included, loved or needed then you haven't found the right ones. Your people are out there somewhere, you just haven't met them yet.

Finding friends is easy. But finding true friends and best friends is complicated. When you have met a friend,  how can you tell that they are a true friend?

Some pointers to look out for:

  • If they talk about you or people behind their back.
  • If they put you down but take it further than just teasing.
  • If they don't listen to your needs, your problems or what's worrying you.
  • If deep down these people don't make you feel happy.
  • If you can relate or connect with the people around you.
Keep your eyes and ear open and be kind and friendly to everyone. If they reject you, it's their own problem, not yours. Remember that friends are made via school, university, working, travelling and through other friends so don't lose hope. And she you do find the special people, keep them tight and never let go! 

Xxx



No comments: